Date:Wednesday May 8 2013
Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement at the end of the season brings to an end a 26-year reign at Manchester United that has touched all areas of English football.
Coventry City FC is no exception.
The Sky Blues managerial hotseat has been held by former United players such as Gordon Strachan and Mark Robins while current boss Steven Pressley was apparently given a 'glowing reference' by his fellow Scot when being thought of for the City job.
Vital Coventry looks back at five big games between CCFC and the Red Devils.
1) Having taken over at Old Trafford in November 1986, Ferguson's first shot at silverware came with that season's FA Cup but Manchester United's hopes were dashed in the 4th Round as Keith Houchen scored the only goal of the game to have Sky Blues supporters dreaming of Wembley.
2) A first league title proved elusive for Ferguson but he finally got United over the line in the first season of the Premier League after a key victory in a bad-tempered game at Highfield Road in April 1993 which saw Micky Quinn sent off after an altercation with Peter Schmeicel.
3) Success came thick and fast after that and United were well on their way to another league crown in April 1996 when a 1-0 for the hosts at Old Trafford was soured by the famous injury suffered by David Busst. Ferguson sent a full-strength side to Coventry for Busst's testimonial.
4) Few among a 23,000+ crowd at Highfield Road in December 1997 gave the home side hope of earning even a point when they trailed United with five minutes left. Dion Dublin's penalty, however, was followed by Darren Huckerby's classic, the ultimate mazy dribble!
5) The Sky Blues are, of course, unbeaten against the Reds in over a decade having won the only meeting of the two sides since City's relegation by two goals to nil in the League Cup in September 2007, Michael Mifsud making himself famous around the world with his two goals.
Date:Wednesday May 8 2013
CCFC: Two Chances to Impress (Tuesday September 30 2014)
CCFC: October Preview (Monday September 29 2014)
CCFC: Normal Football Concerns Are Back! (Sunday September 28 2014)
Stats: Coventry City v Preston North End (Saturday September 27 2014)
Striking Problems of a Different Kind for City (Friday September 26 2014)
City Aim for a Ricoh Hat-Trick (Thursday September 25 2014)
Close Margins in Each Sky Blues Game (Wednesday September 24 2014)
CCFC: A Trio of Popular Old Boys (Tuesday September 23 2014)
Plaudits but no Points for City Again (Monday September 22 2014)
Stats: Rochdale v Coventry City (Sunday September 21 2014)
|16. Notts County||9||2||5||2||1||11|
|Crewe seek reversal of fortunes
» Crewe : 30/09/2014 12:41:00
|Davis rues inconsistencies
» Crewe : 30/09/2014 12:32:00
|West Brom Teen Snapped Up
» Port Vale : 30/09/2014 08:59:00
|Goal Heroes Delight As The Bar's Set High
» Oldham : 29/09/2014 18:26:00
|Swindon's Harley Trains With Exeter City
» Swindon : 29/09/2014 18:24:00