Date:Wednesday May 8 2013
Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement at the end of the season brings to an end a 26-year reign at Manchester United that has touched all areas of English football.
Coventry City FC is no exception.
The Sky Blues managerial hotseat has been held by former United players such as Gordon Strachan and Mark Robins while current boss Steven Pressley was apparently given a 'glowing reference' by his fellow Scot when being thought of for the City job.
Vital Coventry looks back at five big games between CCFC and the Red Devils.
1) Having taken over at Old Trafford in November 1986, Ferguson's first shot at silverware came with that season's FA Cup but Manchester United's hopes were dashed in the 4th Round as Keith Houchen scored the only goal of the game to have Sky Blues supporters dreaming of Wembley.
2) A first league title proved elusive for Ferguson but he finally got United over the line in the first season of the Premier League after a key victory in a bad-tempered game at Highfield Road in April 1993 which saw Micky Quinn sent off after an altercation with Peter Schmeicel.
3) Success came thick and fast after that and United were well on their way to another league crown in April 1996 when a 1-0 for the hosts at Old Trafford was soured by the famous injury suffered by David Busst. Ferguson sent a full-strength side to Coventry for Busst's testimonial.
4) Few among a 23,000+ crowd at Highfield Road in December 1997 gave the home side hope of earning even a point when they trailed United with five minutes left. Dion Dublin's penalty, however, was followed by Darren Huckerby's classic, the ultimate mazy dribble!
5) The Sky Blues are, of course, unbeaten against the Reds in over a decade having won the only meeting of the two sides since City's relegation by two goals to nil in the League Cup in September 2007, Michael Mifsud making himself famous around the world with his two goals.
Date:Wednesday May 8 2013
Can City Take 3 Points Back Home? (Thursday August 28 2014)
Will City Target Impress Against Sky Blues? (Tuesday August 26 2014)
CCFC: Under-21's Impress (Monday August 25 2014)
Weekend Reaction: Pressley on Point (Sunday August 24 2014)
Vital Archive: Boothroyd Makes an Impression (Saturday August 23 2014)
Stats: MK Dons v Coventry City (Saturday August 23 2014)
Can City Cap a Good Week? (Friday August 22 2014)
City Aim to Get The Ricoh Rocking (Friday August 22 2014)
Will Dons Lose Focus as Manchester United Await? (Thursday August 21 2014)
Back To The Ricoh for CCFC (Thursday August 21 2014)
|12. Sheff Utd||4||2||0||2||0||6|
|14. Leyton Orient||4||1||2||1||1||5|
|16. Port Vale||4||1||2||1||0||5|
|New date for Alex
» Crewe : 29/08/2014 16:57:00
|Ashdown Signs Short Term Deal
» Crawley : 29/08/2014 16:54:00
|Crewe aim to maintain standard
» Crewe : 29/08/2014 16:45:00
|Davis wants more options
» Crewe : 29/08/2014 16:39:00
|Ref Watch: Colchester United v Peterborough United
» Peterborough : 29/08/2014 16:01:00