Date:Wednesday May 8 2013
Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement at the end of the season brings to an end a 26-year reign at Manchester United that has touched all areas of English football.
Coventry City FC is no exception.
The Sky Blues managerial hotseat has been held by former United players such as Gordon Strachan and Mark Robins while current boss Steven Pressley was apparently given a 'glowing reference' by his fellow Scot when being thought of for the City job.
Vital Coventry looks back at five big games between CCFC and the Red Devils.
1) Having taken over at Old Trafford in November 1986, Ferguson's first shot at silverware came with that season's FA Cup but Manchester United's hopes were dashed in the 4th Round as Keith Houchen scored the only goal of the game to have Sky Blues supporters dreaming of Wembley.
2) A first league title proved elusive for Ferguson but he finally got United over the line in the first season of the Premier League after a key victory in a bad-tempered game at Highfield Road in April 1993 which saw Micky Quinn sent off after an altercation with Peter Schmeicel.
3) Success came thick and fast after that and United were well on their way to another league crown in April 1996 when a 1-0 for the hosts at Old Trafford was soured by the famous injury suffered by David Busst. Ferguson sent a full-strength side to Coventry for Busst's testimonial.
4) Few among a 23,000+ crowd at Highfield Road in December 1997 gave the home side hope of earning even a point when they trailed United with five minutes left. Dion Dublin's penalty, however, was followed by Darren Huckerby's classic, the ultimate mazy dribble!
5) The Sky Blues are, of course, unbeaten against the Reds in over a decade having won the only meeting of the two sides since City's relegation by two goals to nil in the League Cup in September 2007, Michael Mifsud making himself famous around the world with his two goals.
Date:Wednesday May 8 2013
Coventry City Loan Deadline Latest (Wednesday November 26 2014)
Pressley Pleased as City Midfielder Signs (Tuesday November 25 2014)
Stats: Colchester United v Coventry City (Monday November 24 2014)
One Small Step for Sky Blues (Sunday November 23 2014)
Madine Earns City a Vital Victory (Saturday November 22 2014)
City Change Transfer Focus (Friday November 21 2014)
Time For City To Step Up (Friday November 21 2014)
U's Sign QPR Youngster Ahead of City Clash (Friday November 21 2014)
City Transfers: Striker Merry-Go-Round (Thursday November 20 2014)
Final Day Fixtures Set (Thursday November 20 2014)
|15. Port Vale||18||6||4||8||-2||22|
|19. Leyton Orient||18||4||7||7||-3||19|
|The MacAttack Returns To Posh
» Peterborough : 26/11/2014 20:52:00
|DRFC Midfielder walking disciplinary tightrope
» Doncaster : 26/11/2014 20:17:00
|Fulham Striker Set To Sign For City?
» Bristol City : 26/11/2014 19:18:00
|Luke Ayling MOTM v Preston
» Bristol City : 26/11/2014 18:41:00
|Crewe snap up strike pair
» Crewe : 26/11/2014 18:41:00